Wednesday 27 November 2013

SDW - The long awaited part 3 !!!


Day 3 : Saturday 13th July

A warm night and another hot sunny day in prospect.  We were joined over breakfast of variety pack cereal (2 each!), boiled eggs, toast, coffee and pain au chocolat by Steve who intended to ride the leg on his sister's MTB.  The key fob that yesterday opened the van's rear doors today decided to sound the horn which didn't endear us to the few neighbours to Telscombe YH so we clambered in through the side door and headed back to Devil's Dyke.  Our ranks were further swelled by Tom, another ex-schoolmate whose diminutive stature plus lightweight Specialized led me to believe we may have company at the front.

The joy of the downhill start was short-lived as even I had to dismount and walk part of the first climb out of Saddlescombe and Kevin punctured over the top.  It took so long to fix that the lady dog-walker I passed on the descent to Pyecombe re-passed those of us waiting across the A23 and we didn't catch her up until after Jack and Jill.  By which time the path was, as expected, swarming with other users and it was clear that, while Tom could ride comfortably with Laurence and the Simons, Steve was going to struggle to go the distance.  At Ditchling Beacon car park Phil and I had such an advantage that we had time to treat ourselves to ice creams, if not to consume the evidence before the others appeared.  Shortly afterwards we were overtaken by a solo MTBer and my latent competitive spirit awoke and caused me to hare after him, presuming that the others couldn't possibly get lost up on the ridge.

Black Cap arrived all too quickly from my perspective, but I had to stop as here we were due to surrender the high ground.  Tom boldly led the way only to miss the left turn and have to double back up the hill to rejoin our route.  With my recurring (Granny) gear selection problems I'm not sure I could have ridden up through the Bunkershill Plantation woods anyway, but an oncoming party of schoolchildren made my mind up for me.  Roger, Robin and the van were waiting in the lay-by by the bridge over the A27 so we stopped for sandwiches, fruit and drinks.

Once over the dual-carriageway any chance I had of scaling the initial climb was scuppered almost before I began by my recalcitrant front changer forcing me to get off to change down by hand, but it did give me the chance to then stretch my legs and I was still first to the top.  The bone-shaking surface once the grass ran out left fleeting chance to enjoy the views, unlike the long wait for the stragglers atop Swanborough Hill.  The run back down into the valley gave us more surface variety - from an ex-military road to cinders to vertiginous grass bank.

Waiting for us in the shadow of Southease Church were, not just the catering truck, but Roger, a keen cyclist in his youth, but now in his 70s, geared up to join us for the final 16 mile burst.  Once over the level-crossing and the hump-back bridge over the Beddingham Road I was determined not to be beaten by Itford Hill, and indeed I even retook the young lad and lass who'd passed us having lunch.  From the mast on Beddingham Hill I had the added advantage of familiar territory, but Phil and Kev kept me company to the last planned gathering in Alfriston.  Steve had informed us that he'd decided to call it a day here, but at least he arrived just in time to say goodbye in person.

Bouyed by my Itford success I tackled Windover Hill with gusto and aplomb with only a gate to check my progress.  Safe in the knowledge that Roger knew the trail I was freed from navigation duties and the PKP partnership pressed on.  By now I was impressing myself by how strongly I was riding, perhaps lured on by the impending prospect of a hot shower and meal, in fact on the climb out of Jevington my biggest foe was the mix of sweat and SPF50 running into my eyes meaning I could barely see the track.  I could just about make out Eastbourne too from the top, but it should appear more clearly in the, somewhat premature, triumphant group photo before the last blast down to the coast.  Phil's wife was there to meet us and give us a lift back to Heathfield.  Quick shower, change and beans on toast in time for, invited but non-riding, mates to give us a lift back to Eastbourne for a night on the lash until 1 - life in the old dog yet, even if I didn't make the next day's club run.


A fantastic experience which I'd thoroughly recommend, and I'm not just talking about the beers afterwards.  The SDW is raideable on a hybrid, never mind a suspension-free MTB, but is probably easier on a lightweight machine with at least front shocks - the Tri-Store Eastbourne has some of those very snazzy Cannondale Leftys with the single front fork - very tempting.  It can be ridden unsupported, but a support vehicle with food, spares and a friendly face to meet you at every road crossing is good for confidence and morale so long as you keep stops to a minimum.  Finally, as with most cycling, it's best done in the company of friends and riders of a similar ability;  Phil and Kev did tremendously well given their bikes and lack of experience and already we're discussing doing it again next year, perhaps in 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment