Friday 24 May 2013

Kinesis Ti Tripster (Demo Prototype)


With the hyper distance London-Edinburgh-London audax on the horizon for a number of our club members I unwittingly found myself helping them find the perfect bike for this event.  It started with me posting a picture of a Kinesis 29er and a Pro 6 on the club forum, a couple of bikes to lust after.

This started some debate and soon I found myself arranging a demo of the Pro 6 for the L-E-L'ers.  The bike was shared around and gained something of a reputation as a cracking bike, that was until Paul managed to blag a demo prototype Kinesis Ti Tripster.  The name suggests that this is a touring bike, worthy of the L-E-L audax, but Paul put some rides in on it and reported it was much more than that, basically a titanium cross bike with all the fixings to do pretty much anything.  “One bike to do it all” he said, impressive from someone that has a bike for every conceivable discipline.  He also said “If you ride it you’ll want to buy it”, I should have listened.

Soon the time came to return the bikes and I had just one evening slot to ride them. It's not often you get the chance to try out a prototype, so I collected them from Steven who reported the Ti bike was every bit as good as Paul was making out.  I had just an hour and a half so I adjusted the saddle and with strict instruction to be back for dinner, headed out.

I packed a camera ready to take some pictures of the bike in its natural environment imagining myself in the role of a bike mag journalist.

The first mile was on road before turning onto the tracks around the South Downs Way and many of my usual cyclo cross routes.  The weather had been overcast all day, but as soon as I hit the dirt the sun came out and I had a great big smile on my face, I suspect only one of these things had anything to do with the bike.

I have never really ridden a titanium bike, well that’s not true, I have ridden one for the sum total of 6 minutes, I’ve always ridden aluminium bikes with the occasional steel bike, so it was fairly exciting to finally get the chance to ride the wonder material for a good period of time.  I don’t usually go in for the latest wonder material BS, and besides, titanium is no longer the wonder material it once was, not with the introduction of that plastic stuff.  A bike is after all just a bike right? 

The outward loop was mostly uphill and the bike just seemed to be urging me to ride faster, it felt that for every ounce of effort I was putting in to the pedals, the bike was matching it.   Maybe there is something about this titanium after all?

Onto the plateau of the South Downs and a bumpy and fast farm track, it felt like I was riding my road bike on the best roads the French could offer, the bike felt alive, stable and comfortable.  Not armchair comfortable but fast comfortable.  I didn't need to be careful in my line choice, just point the bike and pedal.

I noticed I was adjusting my jersey zip across dry and bumpy ruts, something I couldn't do on my usual aluminium cross bike, I usually need 2 hands on the bars to control the bike through these bits.  The Ti Tripster just floated across them. 

Then for the bit I was looking forward to most, I pointed the bike downhill and tested out the disc brakes.
Initially the brakes felt grabby, until I realised that was because I wasn’t used to brakes that work on a cross bike, I soon learned to be gentle on the levers and modulate them, like on a mountain bike rather than just grabbing a handful.   Whilst the brakes were good, when hydraulic sti eventually arrive it is sure to push this bike into a different dimension.

Kinesis cross bikes have been around for years, they know what geometry works and how to spec a bike so it was no surprise that I didn’t need to pay attention to either of these elements, the bike simply performed flawlessly.  I did notice that the wheels felt pretty light when I loaded them in the car, they certainly didn’t complain at the abuse I was dishing out.

With time on my side and the bike repaying my efforts with speed I pushed on and headed for a big climb, I changed into the little ring and with the bike urging me on I made the top in strava troubling time. 

The handling had been faultless, until it was time to turn around and head for home, it just didn’t seem to respond to my command to complete a U turn, or maybe that was just me?  Anything other than steak for dinner and I think I would have continued to Eastbourne and beyond.

I didn't lift off the effort, even finding time for one more loop.  The Garmin told me it was my fastest ever off road ride, my cheek muscles told me I hadn't stopped smiling.   

Talking to Dom when I returned the bike he mentioned the Ti Tripster was never really designed with cyclo cross in mind, but given the production frame will come with even more clearance I think the bikes intentions are clear.

Is it really one bike to do it all?  I dunno, I’ll let you know when mine is delivered.

PS – sorry for lack of pictures, I didn't want to stop riding even for a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment