Sunday 19 May 2013

Club Run - 12th May 2013


Club Run to Petals for Plants, Broad Oak
Sunday 12th May by Paget Cohen

It's hard even for me to believe that as late as 7:30 I was literally tossing a coin as to whether I was going to ride or not.  I'd been struggling since Tuesday with a cold/hay fever to the extent that I'd chickened out of my intention to cycle to work as I hadn't felt up to the 17 miles to Eastbourne and back.  As it happened once I was out on the bike I felt great;  answers on a postcard please.

The run to Uckfield wasn't so good as my pursuit of a lone InGear rider was into a stiff breeze that made me think that either me or my tyres were going soft;  at least the council had patched all the holes through Blackboys.  Nobody outside Boots so, as is tradition, I went for a quick spin around the industrial estate.  Upon my return Mark L & Stuart K were in attendance and before long we were joined by Ian McG, nice Martyn, Stuart A, Simon F and Dave Hodgson - 'fresh' from an enjoyable debut in the Evening 10s.

I'd anticipated a hilly ride and so it was;  the quiet lanes skirting Buxted and Hadlow Down were just for starters.  Approaching Five Ashes we just missed  a large group in red, yellow and black who we think were Southborough Wheelers on a similarly lumpy route.  Fir Toll Road safely navigated we crossed the Mayfield bypass and hit the cut-through footpath, or at least Mark did, low-siding at the first hairpin on the damp slimy surface, but with no damage reported.

As the advance guard neared rejoining the road a blur of white and green in the form of Graham Jeffs was reported speeding past and away from Mayfield High Street where we were headed en route to Witherenden.  Glorious views were to be afforded and were consumed as we began the next descent, the tea stop now so close, yet still an hour away.  Anyone not warmed up by now certainly was by the time we reached Stonegate, indeed Dave felt the need to remove his jacket and join us in club colours.

From Stonegate we continued heading East before turning South to cross the A265 at Etchingham.  Up the next climb (Oxenbridge Lane) we found ourselves being tracked by an Indian, not a Native American or even an Asian, but a mounted  Yank of the motorised two-wheeled variety on it's way to some form of gathering judging by the sign at the foot of Fontridge Lane.  Electing not to join them we followed the switchback that is Ludpit Lane to meet the Brightling Road just outside Robertsbridge.  Turning back into the headwind and through the forest we again passed Mr Jeffs heading in the wrong direction, but we pushed on to Brightling.

I think it's fair to say that not only have I now got to grips with my Giant, but I've also found my climbing legs, as while I couldn't quite match Stuart K I was consistently among those unclipping at the summits to wait for the stragglers as the saw-tooth profile of our Audax-like route began to take it's toll on some of our number.  One thing I definitely need to work on though is descending as I had a fair way to claw back to Ian and Simon as we clambered back out of Willingford Lane to Burwash Weald.

At this point we were as close to the tea stop as when I left home, but there was still time for yet 1 more hill as Ian took us back down to Witherenden for the climb of Swife Lane.  I felt good enough to carry on for another hour by the time we reconvened at the main road, but thought best to be sociable and not push my luck so turned left with the gang for Petals for Plants.

Waved to Tony Gale as we crested the last rise then who should we meet turning right into the car park but Mr J once more.  Cafe was pricey, but can't fault the service nor the merchandise.  Bob Evans was the sole latecomer and once cups and plates, if not conversation, were exhausted we hit the relatively flat road home.  Only 47 miles, but an acceptable 15.9mph over such lumpy terrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment