Tuesday 9 April 2013

Wimps Wednesday on a Tuesday from Home

Nick and I planned to ride at Stanmer but since no-one else was going to join us we decided to head out from home (We don't live together, just close by).

The ride was going to be a straight forward affair straight along the Downs, turn around and head back.  That was until we got to the top of Bo-Peep and I had the bright idea to head down to the Old Coach Road and climb back up to the top of the Downs as something of an extra loop.

The Downs were dry and running beautifully, we descended off the Downs quickly and as we turned onto the Coach Road I realised my mistake, the road was soaking wet, muddy and slippery.  The gears immediately packed up on both our bikes and we ended up slipping and sliding along the road, trying to keep both wheels heading in the same direction and cursing my decision to head off the otherwise dry Downs. 

We headed for the safety of Firle Beacon and once on top of the Downs we were able to make great progress back home. 

All in all a great 20 mile ride at just a nudge over 10mph, had I not kept stopping to adjust my saddle we would have been a bit quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment