Monday 29 April 2013

Club Run Report - Sunday 28th April


(Partial) Club Run to Stanmer Park
Sunday 28th April by Paget Cohen

Now I've become quite partial to a club run, but I subtitle this piece not because of that, or because I failed to make the tea stop or go the distance, but due to riding so much of it solo.  It started well enough;  John from Herstmonceux caught me at the lights just as I reached Uckfield and us 2, plus Mark L, Stuarts K & A and Yuriy were led North round the back of Maresfield by Ian McG.

Crossing the B2026 at Fairwarp we spotted amongst the bracken a sheep snagged on some brambles by the look of it.  Here Ian & Mark fancied themselves as Siegfried and Tristan Farnon, parked their bikes and set off to rescue said animal.  No sooner had they gone far enough to clog their cleats with mud then the sheep saw them coming and needed no further motivation to free itself and rejoin the flock.

Good deed done, at least in intention, we proceeded Westwards along quiet lanes with only odd puddles and potholes to dodge.  Approaching Walstead there was rather a rather larger wet patch under some trees, but out leader, gallant as ever, jettisoned his jacket from under his saddle so that we could ride across without getting our bikes wet.

There are few good riding roads in Sussex I've yet to discover, but Ian introduced me to a useful cut-through in Lindfield, avoiding much of the High Street, as we continued into what little breeze there was.  Entering Cuckfield Stuart A and Mark became detached from the rear so we pulled into a lay-by to wait.  Fool that I am I'd just changed down so when we set off I immediately slipped my chain.  Safe in the knowledge that the group would notice my absence and pause at the next junction I took the opportunity to pocket my gillet before remounting.

Next junction : no sign of any cyclists, but I figured the boys would continue West in order to cross, rather than join, the A272.  My suspicions were confirmed by a helpful jogger, but no Wanderers at the next turning either.  In hindsight, being behind I should probably have taken that (Deaks) Lane and made a beeline for Ditchling, but for some reason I kept to the B2115 just a bit longer.

For the record I had a very pleasant solo ride.  Left down Broxmead Lane, 2nd left down Bungton Lane (loose gravel), across the A272 just East of the A23 junction and across the A2300 by the Hickstead Motel.  Left then right into Pomper Lane, straight across then right where I encountered lots of horse-riders.  Round the back of Hurstpierpoint College and through the town to join the newly resurfaced New Way Lane to Clayton.  Doubting Underhill Lane had had the same treatment O took the B-road back to Ditchling to tackle the climb head on - 7:45 for what it's worth.

Stanmer Park Cafe is yet another facility I'd never experienced before, but fortunately I'd checked it out on GoogleMaps on Friday.  Not certain over access from the Ditchling road I descended to the main entrance and climbed back through the football pitches.  No sooner had I parked up then I was reunited with my club-mates with their own stories to tell.  Somehow not only did Ian's full English breakfast arrive before the toasted teacakes, but he cleared his plate before us too.  On what was now a warm sunny day we had inadvertently found seats in the shade and were soon joined by the off-road posse:- Bob Evans, Gibbo, Simon, Nick Smith, Stephen B and Dom L.

Having ridden from Burgess Hill to Uckfield first thing Stuart and Yuriy were permitted to take the direct route back whilst the remaining 5 of us mixed it with the A27 traffic.  After so long riding without shelter I was by now, as the Italians say, "Cotto", but I clung on as best I could as we wended our way via Ringmer back to Pear Tree Corner and went our separate ways.  Herstmonceux John and I probably followed a similar path, but while he was keen to stretch his legs mine felt overextended, so I let him go on ahead.  Still can't complain with 68 miles at 16.4mph including the Beacon.     

No comments:

Post a Comment