Monday 23 September 2013

Club Run Report - 22nd Sept 2013


Club Run to Middle Farm, Firle
Sunday 22nd September by Paget Cohen

My tyres didn't need much pumping to get them up to maximum pressure, but either I had the beginnings of a fever or it was a lot milder than the grey skies made out;  either way I decided at the last minute to leave the armskins on the kitchen table.  The ride to Uckfield persuaded me that I wouldn't need the gillet for long either and the arrival of Mr Pelham at Boots was all the convincing I needed to stash it in a back pocket.  The clement weather had caught most on the hop as the majority of the 9 who set out sported long sleeves and Rob and Terry had even gone with 3/4 length tights.

Once it was clear that neither au pair nor Dr Stu were going to join us Ian signalled for the off Northwards towards Piltdown with an acquaintance of Rob's tagging along on a single-speed cruiser.  We'd dropped him and Ollie by The Peacock, but waited for the Wanderer as were about to turn right past the golf club for Down Street.  Detour to avoid Fletching complete we tacked West for Sheffield Green, Freshfield Crossways and Walstead where we encountered our first jogger.  Up Snowdrop Lane we passed so many more I half thought we'd found ourselves amidst a fun run.  Slugwash Lane passed with only a hairy moment for Darren as he ran wide and a long wait for the fast men as Mark was trying to ride off a hangover.  Up to now there had been so little worth writing home about that I took matters into my own hands;  at the bottom of the land heading South out of Wivelsfield the road we had to cross had been freshly dressed with loose chippings, the guys ahead braked harder than I expected, I ran out of spare tarmac, failed to unclip and had time to call 'timber' before I hit the deck - serves me right for not wearing my Womble costume.

Returning to the vertical I rejoined the pack making for Streat, a lane popular with horse-riders also.  With no delays of note it was far too early to turn in the direction of the tea stop so Ditchling Beacon it was.  Ian had reassured Mark that we'd all stay behind him, but that lasted as far as the first ramp.  For the record Rob took the prime and maximum KOM points followed by Midgo and Terry, with Dave Hodgson just pipping me for 4th.  Over the top I received proof, if it were ever needed, of the benefit of drafting when as Mr P blew by me I dug in to grab his wheel and had to ease up to avoid going into the back of him.  Yuriy Tymchenko made a blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearance at the top of Coldean Hill, but didn't join us for the freewheel.  From Stanmer Park it was the usual blast along the A27 and into Lewes.  Having impressed me with his climbing earlier Dave showed off his bike-handling skills in town when taking drastic action to avoid the cars ahead that had stopped for no apparent reason.  Having briefly lost Rob and Darren to the distraction of the brewery we lost Midgo completely as he hared off down the A27 cycle-path without us.  We lost Rob again before the tea stop, this time to a rear flat (should have ridden a Giant);  just for once I was on the front and didn't notice so it was left to Terry and Ollie to provide roadside assistance.

Middle Farm was as good as ever, particularly the slab of apricot flapjack I treated myself to, and before long we were joined by Chairman Slow, the Audax Crew and Gibbo + Windy with some soil samples fresh from the South Downs.  The mudpluggers + Chris joined us for the race home with riders peeling off from Laughton onwards.  Having lost CM & Gibbo somewhere near Halland, Midgo and I delivered John to his door before resuming our now traditional 2up back to Heathfield.  Just shy of 60 miles for me, but a thoroughly enjoyable ride despite the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment