Thursday 8 August 2013

**More South Downs Way** (but different)

Feels a bit cheeky nipping in between parts 2 & 3 of Pagets epic & rather enjoyable sounding triptych of how he conquered the South Downs Way, but heres my version!

My first attempt on my birthday was cut short after about 30 miles - cut being the appropriate term as a sharp flint sliced a hole in the sidewall on my tyre. Game over :o(

This just made me more determined to get it done this summer, so with the Anthem (my MTB) suitably heeled with new boots - A pair of Conti 'Protection' Mountain Kings, ran tubeless, I was ready on my next day off.



Getting going in the dark on unfamiliar trails was relatively slow progress for an off-road novice like me. Although I had a light it was only a little one cos i knew most of my ride would be in the sun. Also my Garmin wasn't really optimised for off road riding.

When the Sun eventually broke the horizon I was able to push on a little more & actually ride with a bit more confidence. I'd love to be able to list all the places I'd ridden through & climbs I struggled up, but I can't - I have to read Pagets account for all of that. I know when I didn't have sweat in my eyes I saw some beautiful countryside. I know I got lost in The Queen Elizabeth Country Park, & the hill coming out of it is a killer!


Suffice to say I had a good time & can consider this ride as one off my 'bucket list'! 

Getting home was fun - I'd left my car in Eastbourne, so once I'd got my breath back in Winchester (& following the obligatory photo with Arthur) I made my way to the train station. £39, a change at Clapham Junction & 5 hours later I fell in the door at home - It would almost have been as quick to turn around & ride back!!! Maybe next time?



*3 Tips for doing this type of ride - 

1 - Don't put a new saddle on your bike the day before embarking on this kinda trip. However if you do make sure its a Fizik Gobi, 'cos I loved it!!! (could have turned out very different)

2 - Take a small bottle of chain lube - Despite my bike being perfectly prepared before the off, the chain was very dry & noisy after 60 miles. Fortunately I had a little sample bottle of oil I carry so was able to 'top up'.

3 - Baby wipes / wet wipes are your friend :o) Take some.

No comments:

Post a Comment