Thursday 20 June 2013

Club Run Report - 16th June 2013


Club Run sans ravitaillement!
Sunday 16th June by Paget Cohen

With Ian away a trip into the unknown was on the cards.  I've devised my own routes often enough through the years, but was hopeful Deputy Martyn would come armed with a plan.  A dry, cool and grey start for June, but at least the wind had finally dropped.  En route to Uckfield I glanced down at my computer to see how I was doing for time only to see my speed being recorded, but time standing still?!  Once outside Boots and upon closer inspection I realised I'd inadvertently left it in the manual stop/start mode rather than automatic.  That problem solved I was just starting to mull over where I might ride when I finally gained company - Terry now in Wanderers kit (a Father's day gift) and Mickey supposedly having already ridden a TT on the A22 that morning, but not left himself on the road.  Unlike myself neither had prioritised more than a couple of hours to ride so I left the destination up to them.  Everest sought a climb so Firle Beacon it was.

The usual route down to Chiddingly with only a young deer running down the road of note.  Terry was riding as if in a hurry and should be flying on his new De Rosa once built.  Far from the cloud forecast conditions were pleasantly sunny, albeit with a very fine drizzle.  Over the A22 at Golden Cross, through Ripe, then across the A27 and we were at the foot of the annual hill climb within an hour.  Mickey stopped for a comfort break and Terry to attend to his rear mech and then we were on.  For the record I just held off Mickey to the summit with Terry hoving into view as we stopped to catch our breath.  Once Terry had caught his and I'd relieved myself at one of Sussex's most scenic outdoor facilities we turned around and made for Glynde.  After pipping Mickey again uphill out of the village his superior strength finally got me on the climb after the opera house.

That's about it really - back to Uckfield via Norlington (past 2 dogs roaming free), Bentley and Pear Tree Corner within 2 hours and without incident.  Terry said goodbye, but as I didn't have kids to get back to to, let alone treat me to a Father's Day pub lunch, I rode with Mickey back to the Fairwarp turning.

Alone again once more I suddenly realised that a) I was struggling without someone to shelter behind and b) I was rather warm, so I pulled into the Duddleswell bus stop to empty the rear pockets of my long-sleeve jersey and (regretting packing my rain jacket) just about managed to cram everything into the pockets of my short-sleeve underneath.  Back on the road North past a throng of Sussex Nomads outside the tea room (why do we never stop there?) and still more racing off the forest to join them.  In for a penny in for a pound I decided to descend Church Hill to Friar's Gate and turn hard right to tackle Marden's Hill from my favoured direction as the descent always catches me out and it's only good fortune that I've never collided with an oncoming vehicle.

Across at Crowborough Cross and down to Jarvis Brook I took Trebler's Road behind Millbrook Garden Centre to attack the west face of Castle Hill.  Typically having shed a layer the weather had to take a turn for the worse and definite rain now started to fall.  I was heading for home anyway, but cooled by the descent to Five Ashes paused to reapply long-sleeves for Meres Lane back to Cross in Hand then home.  Just over 52miles on the clock, not including the missing run to Uckfield first thing, means I'm claiming my 10th 100km ride in the past 11 weeks.

PS : Hear that John Miller broke his collarbone when he crashed at last Thursday's Crit.  I'm sure all of us wish him a full and speedy recovery - Edinburgh awaits.

PPS : Found : 1 sawn-off LWCC bidon rolling in road opposite Beehive PH at junction of A265 Burwash Road & B2096 Battle Road, Heathfield Monday 3rd June 2013. Contains 2 tubes & 3 ancient metal tyre levers wrapped in offcut of denim.

No comments:

Post a Comment