Wednesday 20 March 2013

Club Run to ESCA Hardriders, Bodle Street Green


Club Run to ESCA Hardriders, Bodle Street Green
Sunday 17th March by Paget Cohen


Rain and strong winds were forecast, but I was desperate to get out after 3 weeks laid low with a cold and we weren't likely to be venturing far from Heathfield should I need to excuse myself.  Arriving first at Boots and not wanting to stand around getting cold for any longer than necessary I treated myself to a quick Tour d'Etat Industriele.  By the time I'd finished mon petit boucle Stuart K and Alan L had appeared.  With my new Giant not fitted with mudguards I thought it only fair to stick with the Marin, not that I expected to be on the front much;  unlike Mark L, now devoted to Trekking whatever the weather and fully kitted in sparkling white Wanderers gear having dropped 2 sizes to do so.  Ian McG made 5 and off we went in pursuit of Graham Jeffs and Richard Meed who had just breezed past.  Having caught them by Easons Green we went our separate ways at the end of Laundry Lane, the main bunch turning left.


Alan and I seemed to be struggling a little or maybe it was just Mark revelling in his lack of weight, even if he had gained a back splattered with mud by the time we reached Horam.  Entering Vines Cross Alan and I breathed a sigh of relief when Ian signalled right, away from the scene of our synchronised sliding exactly one month ago.  On through Cowbeech, Trolliloes and down some decidedly messy lanes still sporting show drifts either side we reached Bodle Street Green shortly after the first Hardrider departed.  We Lardriders, however, were still en route to the prime point by the church just South of Ponts Green.  To do so we first had to navigate Prinkle Lane (complete with sign warning "Hole in Road - the council are looking into it") and Bray's Hill (where, as ever, progress was compromised by what little traffic there was).  The splendidly named Brownbread Street had it's own potholes, but no warning signs.

Mick Kilby was ably manning his post and noting the prime times while we hung around to cheer the competitors fast or slow, Wanderers or otherwise.  By the time Dave Beale had gone through, we were getting cold and hungry, so with no Wanderers due for a while we set off just as Graham and Richard arrived to take our places.  Eschewing the even hillier alternatives we retraced our tyre tracks back to the Village Hall.  For once we weren't behind a crowd of club-mates at the tea stop - only Tom Glandfield getting changed after his storming sub-40 ride, but a steady stream in white, green & gold rolled up to join us.  From Bodle Street Green it's barely 7 (uphill) miles to home, but I was feeling surprisingly good and so far the rain had ignored the forecast - oh well!

The 4 of us left Alan chewing the fat (well cake) and followed the event course down to Windmill Hill, but forking right towards Herstmonceux then Flowers Green.  For the first time in months the road onto the levels wasn't under water, but the road off was, by the time we got there.  By the time we reached Hailsham my feet were wet and the carrot cake long forgotten.  I was going to head straight home now anyway, but whether taking pity on me or not, Ian McG piloted the group to Horsebridge then, to my surprise, turned right up the A267 towards Horam where we splashed through the puddles amid the smug car drivers cocooned in their warm dry environs.  Having dragged me to within walking distance of home the guys said farewell at the May Garland and I undertook the solo crawl back up to Heathfield.  A welcome 50 miles even if I did nod off during the Grand Prix.

No comments:

Post a Comment