Tuesday 5 February 2013

Wimps Wednesday - 30/1/13

These evening rides are fast obtaining a reputation that they simpler are not what they say on the tin.

With plenty of banter on the forum in the days leading up to the ride it was a much anticipated ride.  A fierce headwind blew me to Firle, despite leaving a few mins early I still arrived a few minutes late.  One of the best bits of riding at night is how far you can see other light sources, I could see Paul heading from the other direction as I met with Rob and Pete.

A bit more banter about route choices and the like and we were off, Paul still smarting from his thrashing at the reliability trial set off at a rapid pace with Rob giving chase and Pete and I rolling along at the back.

Having ridden down Rob was lit up light a Christmas tree and was shining more rear light at me than I was shining in front of me.

Pete soon started to have some bike problems and was struggling to pedal, I set off in search of a twig to clear the mud but the top of the Downs is so barren there was nothing.  My ambitious route would have taken us to the back of Seaford before heading into Friston for some singletrack and back along the south Downs Way, 20 miles in total.

Paul led us on an even more ambitious route, heading along the Downs where we dropped into Alfriston on a super steep descent (which I didn't even know existed) and up the massive long hill behind the long man of Wilmington where Rob set off for Strava glory.

Pete decided at the top that his bike problems were too much and he would head for home at the first opportunity.

Towards Jevington we turned right into the back of Friston Forest through the most awfully muddy conditions, I had to get off and walk as it was now time for my bike to struggle with the dreaded chain suck and Pete's bike was almost unrideable - Pete headed for home and we headed off in search off some some lovely dry(ish) single track - surprisingly we found some!

Paul gave us a high speed tow to Alfriston just as the moon started to pop up behind the Downs.  We headed for the Old Coach Road via a swimming pool (it may just have been a very deep puddle).  Now in the big ring my chainsuck disappeared and I felt pretty good for 1/2 mile before losing concentration on a muddy section and seeing Rob and Paul disappear off into the distance, I lost the fight and let them go.

Behind Firle Paul and Rob headed for home and I was left with a long ride back with the monster of all headwinds to contend with, it was getting late, cold and dark, not a great time for my front light to fail for no obvious reason, well maybe the ride through the swimming pool may have caused  problem or 2.  Riding on my own and down to just one light that I was convinced was beginning to flicker, I started to get a little spooked in the dark.

The ride into the headwind wasn't quite as bad as I expected and I headed home with a 4 hour ride on the clock.

Here's to the next Wimps Wednesday.








1 comment:

  1. Nice varied ride that one, this week was a different matter.

    ReplyDelete