Sunday 27 January 2013

Club Run to Simon Farmer's House, Cade Street - Sunday 6th January by Paget Cohen

Saturday had been dull, damp and drizzly and Sunday 'dawned' dank and dismal, but at least I now had a freshly serviced bike, a new mud flap attached to the rear guard and a new rear tyre. I don't know about you, but I'm one of those people who prides themselves on being punctual and am in most danger of being late if I'm ready early and think I have time to do something beyond the normal routine; and so it proved. Taking the scenic route through the lanes in the valley I thought I knew the roads better than I did, turned left one turning too early and found myself doubling back into Blackboys up a stiff climb.

I needn't have worried as Ian was still in the process of phoning Simon to go out and buy more mugs as 16 of us were riding out from Uckfield and more were due from elsewhere (New Year's resolutions?). The outward leg followed the same route as that to Isfield, but while Terry (again preferring shorts to thermal long johns) left us at The Broyle the thundering peloton swung East to Laughton. We passed several more casual cyclists through Ripe and Chalvington and a stationary bunch of Eastbourne Rovers just before the left turn back to Upper Dicker. Once across the A22 we headed South out of Hailsham on the Ersham Road. Up to now we'd made good progress with many remarking as to how much they were enjoying the evident slipstream behind the keen pace being mainly set by Rob P and Gibbo.

Turning left onto a potholed Saltmarsh Lane we somewhat lost impetus as Stuart A's new rear light popped off his saddle bag and split in two on the road just as our illustrious leader succumbed to a puncture. I'd wager it's not the first time Ian McG has changed tubes by the roadside as he was rolling again by the time Stuart had recovered his light and many had barely finished their comfort breaks and didn't have time to wash their hands. Mark L even fell off in amazement/admiration.

According to the signs we brazenly passed Downash Lane was closed, but it was just about passable by bike if you picked your way through the mud and puddles. Partly due to this spray the group had split somewhat by the time we'd crossed Horse Eye Level and we had a short wait to regroup. One of those delayed was new boy Luke, and it's to his credit that I didn't realise he wasn't a current member from out of the woodwork until someone told me; although his relative lack of miles clearly told on the gradual climb through Cowbeech, Foul Mile, Rushlake Green and Three Cups with Ian needing to lend a helping hand.

Speaking of which no sooner had we left the levels and turned up Cricketing Lane then I became indebted to Mark for holding my bike and particularly to Ollie Tuckley for spotting my ineptitude and not only helping remove and replace my old front Schwalbe Marathon, but supplying and inflating a replacement tube. In my feeble defence that is, somewhat improbably, the first time in over 8 years and roughly 15,000 miles that I've punctured whilst out on a ride! My belated New Year's resolution must be to equip myself with a pocket pump and spare tube of my own. My blushes were further spared by nice Martyn simultaneously suffering the same misfortune, but not getting the same level of help.

Anyway Simon eventually did a huge crowd and Kit Wilson proud with not just tea cakes, but a fine array of homemade flapjacks, chocolate brownies and 'apple and cinnamon thingies' - anyone not there truly missed out. Suitably refuelled the 2 miles home seemed to pass in a flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment